11.18.2010

Surprise Sugar Cookies

I know what you're all thinking, and the answer is NO, I do not eat desserts only.  It just seems that way.  But things aren't always as they appear...  I may have eaten some chocolate for breakfast.  That's not my point.  The weather quickly went from warm and sunny October to freezing cold "arctic tundra" November.  So of course we're all craving baked goods.  Here's a delightfully delicious recipe for the classic winter cookie, The Sugar Cookie.  I call them "Surprise Sugar Cookies" because of the unexpected ingredient, coconut oil.  This is available at HyVee.  I get my coconut oil from Whole Foods.  You could also get it on Amazon.  I use the Nutriva brand, but Spectrum Organics is very dependable.

Surprise Sugar Cookies

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour, unbleached
  • 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
  • 2 Tbsp corn starch
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup Earth Balance (a vegan margarine), at room temperature
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil (you may have to warm it up a bit in the microwave if it is cold outside)
  • 1 cup sugar, preferably evaporated cane juice
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract
  • 1/4 cup plain nondairy milk
Directions:
  1. Sift together flours, cornstarch, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl.  Set aside.
  2. In a seperate bowl or mixer, cream together margarine and coconut oil with the sugar.
  3. Beat in the extracts and milk.
  4. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture, about a cup at a time.
  5. Take a few feet of wax paper and empty dough onto it.  Roll into a log with paper and hands.  Wrap in paper.
  6. Refrigerate for at least two hours.
  7. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 F.
  8. Slice cookies from your dough log, place on cookie sheet.
  9. Bake for 10-13 minutes, depending on softness level desired.  Cool.  DEVOUR.

1 comment:

  1. WENDY's HUSBAND REPORT:

    These cookies remind me of my mother, minus tons of butter. Wendy did a really cool thing with the coconut oil, there a lot of great flavors that meld together. Keep up the good work honeypie.

    RATING: 10/10 - It's delicious, thank you!

    (I know that's like my only rating)

    ReplyDelete