11.16.2010

Cheesecake, mmm

B.V. (before veganism), I was a huge fan of cheesecake, a.k.a. saturated fat + sugar + more sugar + more fat + dairy + eggs = slow death.  Hahahha.  My favorite was chocolate chip peanut butter cookie dough cheesecake from, yes, The Cheesecake Factory.  Where else would they create such a ridiculous combo??

With my history in cheesecake, I was very leery of vegan "cheesecake".  Why bother if it contains practically none of the same ingredients??  So I never truly considered making one.  Enter Hy-Vee's sale on raspberries, combined with my husband's adoration for raspberry cheesecake.  Hmm.



Since I have Alicia Silverstone's The Kind Diet, I decided to have a go at the Mixed Berry Cheesecake on page 192.  The two main ingredients are silken tofu and nondairy cream cheese.  Bonus, it's only sweetened by 1/4 cup of pure maple syrup.  I added the fresh raspberries to the top, and we were all shocked to discover how delicious and cheesecakey this tastes!  It could even be considered better than "real cheesecake"-- it's much lower in saturated fat, cholesterol, and sugar.  No heavy feeling afterward.  No sugar highs.  Just satisfaction.

Anyone else tried vegan cheesecake?  What's your favorite recipe?

1 comment:

  1. WENDY'S HUSBAND REPORT:

    I thoroughly enjoyed the cheesecake! Excellent taste and consistency. I believe a non-vegan would be stumped to find it doesn't contain cheese.

    RATING: 10/10 - It's delicious, thank you.

    ReplyDelete