1.10.2011

Creamy Steamy Latte

I got this idea from a healthy living website and I just have to share it with you.  I am a coffee-lover first and a vegan second, just fyi.  Having lived in Italy, I have since found it near impossible to live without my daily espresso.  But soy lattes just aren't the same as their dairy counterparts.  Soy milk steams well enough, but the taste just isn't as creamy and decadent as dairy milk.  Here's our solution!  COCONUT MILK!!  I'm talking about real, thick and creamy coconut milk in a can, not the "coconut milk drink" you can buy in a tetrapak or half gallon jug.  You will want to use the canned variety to achieve creamy and deliciousness.  I use the light coconut milk (from Trader Joe's, only 99 cents a can) to cut back on the saturated fat content since I drink this so often.  However, if you are having this only as a treat, you may want to indulge in the full fat coconut milk.  Sure to please vegans and nonvegans alike!

Coconut Latte
  1. Espresso shots - however you make it and however many you want, this is up to you
  2. Sweeten - this is optional and varies by taste, but I put about 1 teaspoon of agave nectar in my mug before adding the espresso
  3. Milk - steam together 1/2 cup almond milk and 1/3 cup coconut milk or if you don't have a milk steamer, bring them to a boil on the stove or microwave them in a glass dish for 1-2 minutes, froth if desired then top it on your espresso
  4. Enjoy your delicious vegan latte.  Share with friends.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment